MONTGOMERY CO. – Detectives with the Major Crimes Division continue to investigate an officer-involved shooting that occurred yesterday, Monday, June 11, on Three Oaks Drive in Silver Spring.
The officer involved in the shooting is identified as Anand Badgujar, an approximately two-year-veteran of the Department. He is currently assigned to the Patrol Division and works in the 3rd District. As is protocol, Officer Badgujar has been placed on paid administrative leave during this investigation.
The decedent is identified as 41-year-old Robert Lawrence White of the 300 block of Dearborn Avenue in Silver Spring.
Officer Badgujar’s body-worn camera footage and the body-worn camera footage of the second officer who arrived to assist Officer Badgujar have been reviewed by Chief Manger and investigative personnel.
The body-worn camera footage, as well as an eye-witness statement, reveals the following:
- As the officer attempted to speak with Mr. White, he became combative and assaulted the officer.
- The officer attempted to pepper spray White.
- Over the course of the next minute, the officer requested assistance and kept White in his sight.
- As White walked on Three Oaks Drive away from the officer, the officer went to his cruiser to turn off the ignition.
- At this point White began approaching the officer and as he got closer, began running at the officer; the officer back-pedaled, and White knocked him down as the officer discharged his weapon.
- White fell, got up, stood over the officer who was still on the ground, and continued to assault the officer, at which time the officer fired additional rounds.
- White fell and was secured. Additional responding officers provided medical assistance to him until Fire and Rescue personnel arrived.
Once Major Crimes detectives complete this investigation, their findings will be reviewed by the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office* to determine if the Montgomery County police officer acted within the law and if the circumstances of the case need to be brought before a grand jury. The Department, in consultation with the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office, will release the video once the criminal case is completed.
This remains an ongoing investigation. As information is confirmed it will be released to the public. Anyone with information regarding this shooting is asked to contact the Major Crimes Division at 240.773.5070.
*An established agreement between the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office and the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office stipulates that when an officer-involved shooting involving injury or death occurs in one county, the other county’s State’s Attorney’s Office will review the event.
Stay with DCW50 for the latest.