Police: 16-year-old shot during attempted robbery after stabbing suspect, both die from injuries

DCW50 News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Two teens died from their injuries after an attempted robbery in a Northeast neighborhood.

Police say they were called to the 2200 block of 13th street, Northeast, around 8:40 p.m. on Wednesday for a report of a man with a gun.

When they arrived, they found a man with a gunshot wound and an adult man found a short distance away, suffering from stab wounds.

Both were taken to the same hospital where they died from their injuries.

Police say their preliminary investigation shows that the adult, 19-year-old Sequan Gillis, attempted to rob the juvenile, 16-year-old Zaire Kelly, and in self-defense Zaire stabbed the suspect several times before being shot.

Police say Zaire is a senior at Thurgood Marshall Academy in Southeast D.C.

The school's executive director, Richard Pohlman, said at least 100 students used the grief counseling they had available on Thursday and will continue to have as needed.

He says Zaire was a scholar athlete, planned to run for student government, had many teachers that considered him a great student and mentee, loved science and math and wanted the best for everyone around him.

"He had the energy that captured the love and attention from all of those around him," he said.

Loved ones tell DCW50 that the attempted robbery happened just down the street from his home, where he was heading from a college bound after school program.

"He almost made it to his door," says Zaire's cousin, Gregory Baldwin. "He jumped out of the car, the older guy, tried to take his phone, and they ended up taking each others' lives. It’s gotta stop, both of our families our hurting," he says.

According to the U.S. Attorney's Office, Gillis recently made an appearance in Superior Court on September 9th for a case involving a car that he stole and drove.

He was released on high-intensity supervision and had been scheduled to return to court for a preliminary hearing on Oct. 2.

"He had an ankle box on his left when he died last night," says Baldwin.

Metropolitan Police say they are still investigating the incident.

Pohlman says Thurgood Marshall Academy is working with the family to plan a way to honor Zaire in the near future.

DCW50 Exclusives

More DCW50 Exclusives

More News

More News


Latest News

More DCW50 News