Man dies in officer-involved shooting in D.C.

DCW50 News

(PHOTO: D.C. Police)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

UPDATE: The Metropolitan Police Department has identified the man shot and killed as Marqueese Alston, 22, of Temple Hills, Md.

Police Chief Peter Newsham said Alston was standing near 1st St. SE & Wayne Pl. SE when a marked police cruiser came down the street. He said Alston ran from the cruiser and into a nearby alley, with the officers chasing after him on foot.

"When Mr. Alston produced an illegal semi-automatic handgun and fired it at the pursuing officers. Two officers returned fire and the suspect was killed," said Newsham.

Along with the handgun, Newsham said investigators also recovered an additional extended magazine that was loaded with live ammunition from Alston.

The two officers who fired their weapons have been placed on administrative leave while the shooting is investigated.

D.C. Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice Kevin Donahue said the officers did activate their body-worn cameras prior to the shooting. He added that Mayor Muriel Bowser is reviewing the footage and will make a decision in the coming days about whether to release the video publicly.


WASHINGTON, D.C. - One man is dead after, police say, officers were involved in a shooting in Southeast, D.C.

Police Chief Peter Newsham says three officers entered an ally in the area of 1st Street and Wayne Place, SE.

Officers encountered a group of men in the alley. Police say one of the men had a handgun and "multiple shots were fired."

Police believe the man who had the handgun is the one who died.

No officers were injured.

The handgun was recovered, and police are talking to witnesses.

Police say no arrests have been made at this time.

"We gotta get these illegal firearms out of our community. I don't see any reason why anyone needs to be standing in any ally in the District of Columbia armed with an illegal firearm," said Police Chief Peter Newsham.

The investigation continues.

DCW50 Exclusives

More DCW50 Exclusives

More News

More News


Latest News

More DCW50 News