Guilty plea in 2016 Maryland shooting spree

DCW50 News

Eulalio Tordil (PHOTO: Prince George’s County Police)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

ROCKVILLE, MD -- The man accused of going on a two-day shooting spree in Maryland in 2016 that left three people dead, pled guilty on Tuesday to the shootings that happened on the second day, May 6, in Montgomery County.

Eulalio Tordil, 63, pled guilty to two first-degree murder charges for the deaths of Malcom Winffel, 45, and Claudina Molina, 65, and to two attempted first-degree murder charges for the shooting of two other people.

After Tordil's plea was entered, Montgomery County State's Attorney John McCarthy laid out the state's evidence had the case gone to trial and told those packed into the courtroom, who included survivors of the shootings and family members of the victims, that it showed Tordil was "cold and calculating" before and after the shooting.

"This was a man who did not care what injury he caused to his wife or to anyone else who got in the way," said McCarthy after the hearing.

Even though Tordil pled guilty only to the events in Montgomery County, McCarthy said those shootings were directly linked to the previous day's shooting, where Tordil is accused of shooting and killing his estranged wife, Gladys Tordil, 44.

McCarthy presented evidence leading up to the shootings and covering both days. He said Tordil had planned the shooting for days, if not weeks, before it took place and was motivated by several factors.

"He was fueled, as you know, by his own anger about his own failed marriage, his failed finances, the fact his job had been taken away from him," said McCarthy.

McCarthy said Tordil was mad at his wife and accused her of putting the family into debt and cut her off from the finances. He added that in March 2016, she filed a protective order against him and accused him of assaulting her daughters from a previous relationship. This led to Tordil being suspended from his job as a Federal Protective Service officer and had his personal and work guns confiscated.

However, McCarthy said Tordil was able to hide a .40-caliber Glock from the police officers that confiscated his weapons. It was one he had purchased several years ago in Las Vegas. McCarthy said ballistics testing showed this was the gun used in all three shootings.

On May 1, McCarthy said Tordil updated his will and left everything to his biological daughter.

He added that investigators found notes that Tordil had written, including a suicide note, leading up to the shootings and even one on the first day.

"He was talking about taking his wife’s life and writing to his daughters saying it did not have to end this way, but he knew it was going to end this way," said McCarthy. He added that Tordil was hoping die by "suicide by cop" and wrote that he hoped his "brothers in blue" would make it quick.

McCarthy said that the morning of May 5, when he is accused of killing his wife, Tordil rented a car, packed a bag with his medication, over $1800, his gun, and over 80 rounds of ammunition.

After Tordil allegedly shot his wife outside High Point High School, McCarthy said that Tordil turned off his cellphone. In a police interview following his arrest, which was recorded on video and played in the court, Tordil told a detective he did that so he could not be tracked.

McCarthy said Tordil drove around the rest of the night until, on May 6, he attempted two carjackings in order to separate himself from the rental car and continue with his getaway. It was during the first attempt at the Montgomery Mall when Winffel was killed. He and a co-worker stopped Tordil from carjacking a woman in the parking lot. Molina was killed when she fought back against Tordil when he tried to carjack her outside the Aspen Hill Giant Food Store.

"The people here in Montgomery County that were killed or were shot were truly, they were innocents," said McCarthy. "These were people who had no connection to this man whatsoever. It was complete random violence because he needed access to a car to complete his escape from law enforcement."

Neither victim's family members spoke to the media after the hearing, but McCarthy relayed that they were proud of their family member's actions that day as fighting back against Tordil likely saved more lives as the cost of their own.

Tordil will be sentenced on July 7 at 1:30 p.m. McCarthy said he will seek the maximum penalty which is a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Tordil still faces charges related to the shooting of his estranged wife in Prince George's County on May 5, but that trial cannot proceed until the Montgomery County case has concluded.

Local News

More Local Stories


More News

More News

Don't Miss

Latest News

More DCW50 News