FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. — George Mason University notified the community today that one of their students had died on Saturday, possibly after ingesting a hallucinogenic substance.
The student was rushed to the hospital from the Potomac Heights Residence Hall around 4:40 yesterday, where they later died. No foul play is suspected, but campus police are concerned that other students may have the same hallucinogen in their possession.
The campus police tweeted on Sunday, “Contact the police at 703-993-2810. The university amnesty policy applies. You may save a life.”
The university president, Ángel Cabrera, made a similar tweet: “If you have used or are in possession of a hallucinogenic substance call @gmupolice at 911 or 703-993-2810 immediately.”
The police and Cabrera also linked to the school’s counseling services.
The student who died has not yet been identified.