Fairfax Co. family gets sick after eating wild mushrooms

DCW50 News

(PHOTO: Fairfax Co. Fire & Rescue)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FAIRFAX CO. – A Fairfax County family became ill after eating wild mushrooms that were picked near their apartment.

Fire and Rescue officials say family members made a meal containing wild mushrooms and then experienced vomiting and abdominal pain a few hours later.

Investigators identified the mushroom species as a Chlorophyllum molybdites which is also commonly referred to as the “vomiter.” They were picked from the courtyard of the family’s Annadale apartment.

Thankfully, the vomiter does not cause liver failure or death but is a severe GI irritant.

DCW50 Exclusives

More DCW50 Exclusives

More News

More News

Popular

Latest News

More DCW50 News