(CNN) — Former FBI Director James Comey is “not worried about any tapes” of conversations between him and President Donald Trump, a source familiar with the matter told CNN Friday, adding that “if there is a tape, there’s nothing he is worried about” that could be on it.
The source said of the dinner between Comey and Trump on January 27 that it came at Trump’s request and was one-on-one.
The source noted that a few days before the dinner, Comey had already been told by the President that he would stay on the job.
“It is absolutely untrue that Jim asked to have dinner or that he asked to have his job,” the source said. “That is a complete fabrication.”
The source said Comey knew it was possible he would lose his job, especially when he did not agree to pledge loyalty and later with the fallout over refuting the President’s claims that President Barack Obama ordered the wiretapping of Trump Tower, but he didn’t expect it when he was fired. The source said Comey thought at least he would get a phone call.
The source said Comey is likely not going to testify next week to Senate intelligence. As of Friday morning, Comey had not responded to the request.