UPDATE: 3 arrested for assaulting, attempted carjacking of off-duty federal police officer in D.C.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - D.C. Police say they have made a third arrest in the attack and attempted carjacking of an off-duty federal police officer while he was sitting at a red light in the middle of the day.

Police arrested 19-year-old Thomas Cooley, of Northwest, DC, for carjacking and an assault on a police officer on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, they announced that they charged a 15-year-old and 17-year-old.

David Lesansky says he was on his Vespa, heading home around 12:15 p.m., on Potomac Avenue, near where it intersects with Pennsylvania Avenue, on the Southeast side on Friday.

He noticed a man looking in his direction and when the two made eye contact, Lesansky says he was pushed off his scooter and hit his head.

"I didn't know that there were three until I was getting blasted by the three," he says. "My main focus was I'm not going to let these guys get this, I'm not going to let them victimize me."

Lesansky says the men made three different attempts to get the scooter away, in-between punches.

"They saw me and they figured I would've made an easy target, and they were wrong," he says. "With complete disregard that it was a public area, it was the middle of the day, that I was identifying myself over and over and over again as a police officer, they just continued struggling with me."

He says one of the men tried to give him a really strong hit to the side of his face, which caused him to collapse over the scooter, but he still held on.

Eventually, the three men gave up and ran away down Pennsylvania Avenue, and D.C. Police responded to the scene.

They identified the suspects as these three people caught on surveillance cameras.

Attempted Carjacking and an Assault on a Police Officer suspects

D.C. Police say the 17-year-old and 15-year-old juveniles, both of Southeast, DC, were arrested and charged with Carjacking and an Assault on a Police Officer.

Lesansky says the only thing a few of the many bystanders did was call 911, which he says he found disappointing.

"I really needed assistance at that moment. If it's due to fear that you don’t want to engage, you can pick up your telephone, you can start recording it, you can scream 'I’m recording you,'" he says. "If people would somehow, from a safe distance, engage in these instances when they happen, they could stop them."

Lesansky says he had some visible bumps and scrapes, but eventually went to the emergency room for extreme pain that turned out to be internal bruising on his ribs and abdomen.

Still, he feels lucky to be alive.

"They absolutely could’ve killed me," he says.

He hopes his community will learn to step up in the future. In the meantime, D.C. Police say their investigation is on-going.

"They did this because they feel they can do this and get away with it," says Lesansky. "They have absolutely no fear of getting caught."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.