UPDATE: Additional charges pending against mother after second child dies


The juvenile taken to the hospital after last Sunday’s fatal shooting died early this morning.

Additional charges are anticipated for Veronica Youngblood as the investigation continues.

FAIRFAX CO. - One child is dead and another is injured after a woman shot them at an apartment in Fairfax County Sunday night, police say.

33-year-old Veronica Youngblood is behind bars after, police say, she shot two juveniles in an apartment in the 1500 block of Lincoln Circle in Tysons Corner around 10:15 p.m.

She made her first court appearance, via video conference, in Fairfax County on Tuesday.

Judge August Steinhilber confiremd that Youngblood is facing a murder charge for the shooting death of her own daughter. Court documents say she is five-years-old.

DCW50 has learned that the other victim in the case is Youngblood's teenage daughter.

Per Virginia Code 19.2-11.2, police have not confirmed the victims' relationships to Youngblood, saying they are prohibited from providing information about juvenile victims unless parental consent is provided.

During her arraignment, Youngblood kept her head down and gave short, barely audible answers to Judge Steinhilber's questions.

More than once, she said she did not want counsel, but Judge Steinhilber assigned her a public defender due to the seriousness of the charge.

Youngblood was found in Loudoun County after the incident, after an acquaintance called police saying Youngblood had knocked on their front door.

Police say they arrested Youngblood and recovered a firearm they believe was involved in the shooting.

She is being held without bond.

DCW50 uncovered a protective order that was filed against Youngblood, by her ex-husband, and on behalf of the five-year-old daughter, which is one piece of several court proceedings involving divorce and custody issues.

A recent custody order reveals that Youngblood, her ex-husband, and the five-year-old daughter were supposed to move to Missouri by August 8th, three days before the shooting.

However, documents state that Youngblood did not want to go.

The Medical Examiner's Office says the five-year-old girl died from a gunshot wound to the head.

Youngblood is expected to be back in court in October.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.