FBI back at the scene where two Park Police officers fatally shot 25-year-old man

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - Seven months later, the FBI was back at the intersection of Fort Hunt Road and Alexandria Avenue, where Park Police officers shot and killed a 25-year-old man.

Crime scene investigators had shovels, rakes, and metal detectors, and spent hours in the nearby wooded area.

Back on November 17th, Bijan Ghaisar, an accountant from McLean, lead police on a chase to the intersection following a fender bender on George Washington Parkway.

Dashcam video, recorded by a Fairfax County Police officer's cruiser who joined the pursuit, shows Park Police pulling Ghaisar over twice, with guns drawn, and Ghaisar driving away.

When they stopped him the third time at Fort Hunt Road and Alexandria Avenue, the video shows Ghaisar's jeep moving forward, then several gunshots.

Ghaisar's family said Bijan was not armed. They have held several gatherings since the incident in the hopes to get more information from Park Police or the FBI, who is now handling the investigation.

On Tuesday, investigators had a jeep similar to Ghaisar's back at the scene. There was a yellow string pulled through an open window, into the wooded area, appearing to show where the shots were fired.

An FBI spokeswoman would only say investigators were conducting court-authorized law enforcement activity in the vicinity of Fort Hunt Road,

The Ghaisar family released a statement about the search:

“On a November night last year, two U.S. Park Police officers shot our son and brother as he sat unarmed in his Jeep on the side of the road.  They fired nine times, hitting him with four bullets to the head and one to the wrist.  Our funny, loving Bijan died 10 days later.  In the more than 200 days since then, the lack of any transparency and accountability around his killing or who did it has been devastating for our family - second only to the unimaginable anguish of losing him forever.  We hope the events today are an indication of progress in the investigation and a step closer toward justice for a young man whose bright future was needlessly taken.”


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.