Mother and child suffers smoke inhalation in Suitland fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Suitland, MD - A mid morning house fire send a three year old and her mother to the hospital. The fire started at a house in the 3700 block of Coach Lane in Suitland, MD. Luckily, engine company 29 responded within two minutes from the call, as the station is literally down the street from the house. The house sustained extensive damage because the fire was blazing for a while before any of the occupants realized it, as according to Mark Brady of the Prince Georges Fire Department, there were no working smoke detectors in the house.

Angela Horton, a resident in the house said when she noticed the fire, she tried to run upstairs to alert the other tenants, but the flames were too high. When PGFD arrived, they went to the secound floor where they found an adult female with her three year old daughter, both suffering from smoke inhalation. They were transported to the hospital and listed in good condition.

Prince Georges County fire spokesperson Mark Brady says a working smoke detector could have prevented the injuries and property damaged. He says having a working smoke detector is law in Prince Georges County and most importantly, it save lives.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.