Man charged in Fairfax for impersonating a police officer
FAIRFAX CO. — A 33-year-old Centreville man is facing charges for impersonating a law enforcement officer. Our officer arrived on scene of a traffic crash last night at 5:45 at Lee Jackson Memorial Highway and Elmwood Street in Chantilly. He immediately noticed one of the drivers involved was in handcuffs and appeared to be under arrest. The officer spoke with Arta Javanbakhtamarlouei, who told our officer he placed one of the other drivers in handcuffs because he felt threatened by the way the other driver was acting.
Javanbakhtamarlouei was wearing a grey tank top, black pants, and a black duty belt with magazine pouches, a handcuff pouch, OC spray, and a holster with a firearm that appeared to be real. Javanbakhtamarlouei told our officer that he completed an 8-hour criminal justice course and had the authority to arrest people. Javanbakhtamarlouei also had a wallet that contained two badges that turned out to be a concealed weapon badge and a private investigator badge. The concealed weapon badge was purchased online and the private investigator badge was allegedly obtained from a previous security officer job, but he had not worked in the security field in over 4 years. Javanbakhtamarlouei told officers that he obtained all of the items for the gun belt online, and informed them that the firearm in the holster was a BB gun.
Tips On How To Verify A Police Officer From Fairfax Co. PD
- Ask for the officer’s credentials, to verify they are who they stated they were.
- Officers should always introduce themselves and advise who they work for.
- Observe their uniform patches and verify it is the agency they told you.
- Be familiar with the police cruiser markings in your jurisdiction to assist you in identifying their authenticity.
- If you ever feel uncomfortable, don’t hesitate to call 9-1-1 to verify the identity of officer you are dealing with. Dispatchers will be able to confirm this information over the phone and use GPS coordinates to verify an actual officer’s status.