DC fugitive subdued in officer involved shooting in PG County

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENBELT, Md. -- A man wanted in connection to an armed robbery and shooting in DC is in the hospital after a police involved shooting in Prince George’s County.

Prince George’s County Police say the suspect had been on the run for three weeks in connection to a home invasion and shooting that happened in the 4700 block of New Hampshire Avenue on April 8th.

Police say 26-year-old Corey Markell Janifer is in critical condition after being shot by a Prince George’s County police officer.
That shooting happened at the Franklin Park Apartments in Greenbelt at 11:45am.

Prince George’s County Police Chief Henry Stawinski says his officers were invited inside by Janifer’s family where police asked Janifer several times to surrender, but say he had placed himself behind a closed bedroom door.

“After, by name, asking him to present himself several times, officers were in a position of force that door. In the process of doing that, one officer who’s, on point, a 19-year-veteran, an African American male, was in a position where he and Mr. Janifer were in proximity to each other.
At that point, our officer perceived a threat and fired one round and one round only.”, explained Chief Stawinski.

Chief Stawinkski said that they have not recovered a weapon, but are in the process of securing a search warrant for that apartment.
He said that DC Police contacted his fugitive task force last week seeking assistance with catching Janifer, but he was able to escape.
According to the police report by MPD, Janifer, a second suspect, and the victim involved in the home invasion shooting all knew each other..
Desmond Fon, who has lived in the Franklin Park Apartments since November, said the community has a sketchy history.

“When i get to my building, that was in November, I was told that somebody was killed in that building just two months ago.”, said Fon.
“then again, my girlfriend came in with a teacher and told me that her cousin was killed here like last year too, so this place, when it comes to crime with guns, it’s really alarming.”

No officers were injured in the shooting.
The police officer involved has been placed on administrative leave.

The Maryland State’s Attorney’s Office will also be conducting an investigation into today’s shooting.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.