According to the Prince George’s County Fire Department, a woman called in saying that her house was on fire and her kids were trapped on the second floor.
Soon after, firefighters sprang into action, rescuing two young children and an infant from the top floor, all three of whom needed to be resuscitated.
An adult male also jumped from the second floor to safety,
According to fire officials, the children were unable to escape because of thick smoke and high heat.
“The firefighters, they were terrific. They went in and got the children out. All the ones who didn’t come out on their own.”, said neighbor, Sandra Auburn.
When fire crews arrived, they spotted a fire in the kitchen. It took them about two minutes to extinguish the flames, according to PGFD.
In all, eight people made it out safely and four children, ranging in age from four months to 17-years-old, were taken to the hospital for heat and smoke exposure.
Fire officials also mentioned that there was a working fire detector in the home which they believe helped to alert them early and ultimately, saved their lives.