Police arrest second murder suspect in shooting that killed college bound 17-year-old girl

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Metropolitan Police Department announced that they arrested a second suspect in the murder of 17-year-old Jamahri Sydnor.

On Thursday, police say they arrested and charged 18 year-old Robert Moses, of Northeast D.C., with First Degree Murder While Armed.

Shortly after the August 10th shooting, police arrested one suspect, Philip Carlos McDaniel, 21, of Northeast D.C. and charged him with Assault with Intent to Kill.

Police said on Friday that the shooting was the result of a "neighborhood dispute."

Jamahri, driving through the intersection if Saratoga and Montana Avenues in Northeast D.C. was not the intended target.

"Of course I was happy to hear," says her mom, Q Wallace, a detective with the Metropolitan Police Department.

She said officers personally came to their door Thursday night to tell them the developments.

"There’s no winners in this, there’s just simply no winners," she says. "You know we talk about it, how do you go on from this, how do you live your life after this? Neither one of us have been able to figure it out."

The Woodrow Wilson High School graduate and cheerleading captain was just days away from heading to Florida A&M University when the shooting happened.

"She was an amazing person, I mean she had so much promise, the world was wide open and she was ready for it," says Wallace. "When she smiled, the world smiled with her, she had that kind of personality that would light up a room."

Wallace says they heard in court that the two men had previous dealings with guns.

"They didn’t care about my family when they pulled that gun out and the bullet struck my kid in the face," says Jerome Sydnor, Jamahri's father. "When I tell you this has rocked my world, it has rocked my world, and I will never be the same, ever."

Both Wallace and Sydnor say the one positive outcome is the outpouring of support and amazing people they have met who knew and loved Jamahri.

"She's been dealing with a village all her life," says Sydnor. "The village has been there for her, even after her death."

Jamahri's parents say they created an online fundraiser to eventually create a scholarship or foundation in her name.

They also hope to open a dance studio and or/mentorship to keep kids on the right path and to stay away from gun violence.

"Her organs are living on, her name must live on, and people need to know who she was and what she stood for and what she represented," says Wallace. "The only way we can try to find any solace in this is to keep pushing, keep pushing, and making her dreams a reality."