Police arrest man who skipped sentencing in MD. DUI crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Kenneth Kelley. Credit: Prince George's County State's Attorney

PRINCE GEORGE’S CO, MD —  Prince George’s County Sheriff’s Office is reporting deputies have arrested Kenneth Kelley, who’s been on the run since Friday after not-showing up at his sentencing hearing on a deadly DUI crash.

Kelley plead guilty to causing a 2014 crash in Oxon Hill, Md. that left five people dead. Prosecutors said Kelley had been driving up to 70-MPH in a 30-MPH zone with a blood alcohol content level of .14, nearly twice the legal limit. He crashed his car into the back of another that was stopped at a red light at Livingston Rd. and Livingston Terr. in Oxon Hill, Md.

When Kelley was initially arrested and charged, he was ordered held without bond. But the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office (PGSAO) said that at a bond hearing, Judge Albert Northrop allowed Kelley to be released on $100,000 bond and had him fitted with a GPS tracking device. A PGSAO spokesperson said this was a decision they argued against.

However, when Kelley did not show up for Friday’s hearing, prosecutors said they learned last week, that his GPS device had been removed. A PGSAO spokesperson said the device was not controlled by the Prince George’s County Department of Corrections, but a private contractor, and could not explain why Kelley’s tracking device had been removed before sentencing.

Last Friday, Judge Northrop issued a warrant for Kelley’s arrest and ordered that once he was captured he would be held without bond until his sentencing hearing.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.