D.C. firefighters save life at hockey tournament

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

LAUREL, MD. -- Members of the D.C. Fire and EMS Department met with a man on Saturday whose life they had saved when he suffered a heart attack during the department's annual hockey tournament.

"He's all smiles now, he couldn't thank us enough, even though we were just doing what we've been trained to do," said firefighter Jordan Wiley, one of those involved in the rescue.

David Corcoran, a St. Mary's County Sheriff's Deputy, was playing in goal for the U.S. Capitol Police team on Friday night at the Gardens Ice House in Laurel, Md. when he suffered a heart attack in the middle of the second period.

Members of D.C. Fire rushed onto the ice to begin administering CPR and using an automated external defibrillator. The deputy was awake and talking within 10 minutes and was taken to a hospital where he is expected to make a full recovery.

"We don't feel extra special or anything today," said Wiley. "We were glad to be there and able to help this gentleman in a time of need. We were able to present him with one of our hockey jerseys, a challenge coin, and shake his hand and have some good conversation with him."

The heart attack took place during a game that is a part of the D.C. Fire Department's annual hockey tournament that benefits the D.C. Firefighters Burn Foundation.

The marquee game of the tournament was the D.C. Fire Department versus the D.C. Police Department which took place Saturday night and saw the fire department win 9-1.

They will play the fire department team from Reading, Pa. for the championship on Sunday at 11:30 a.m.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.