ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- On Saturday, a fire struck the attic of a low-rise apartment building in the Mount Vernon area, displacing over 60 people and causing over $200,000 in damage.
The fire was reported around 6 p.m. on Dec. 10, and firefighters arrived to find that the fire had advanced significantly because the smoke alarms hadn't gone off due to the fire being located in the attic.
The building has a total of 12 apartments, and about 67 residents were displaced by the fire. They're being helped by the Red Cross and Fairfax County Emergency Management. No firefighters were injured while battling the blaze, but one civilian was transported to an area hospital for a checkup.
The fire was classified as accidental; there was a mechanical failure in a natural gas furnace flue.
About 60 firefighters responded to the scene. Damages to the building as a result of the fire are estimated to be $227,500.00.
Red Cross provided temporary shelter for the dozens of families that could not return home. To donate items to help the families get through the winter and holiday season contact the Red Cross: (703) 584-8400.