UPDATED: Trial begins in 2014 killing of 3-year-old girl in Landover

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Davon Wallace (L), Knijah Bibb (R).

UPDATED 11/17/16: The family of a deceased 3-year-old girl are “hurt and pissed off” that a jury did not convict her killer with first degree murder.

They found Davon Wallace guilty of second degree murder and second degree depraved heart murder in the killing of Knijah Bibb, 3, who was shot to death. He was found not guilty of first degree premeditated murder, and of second degree specific intent murder.

Wallace’s attorney plans to appeal. He says he is unhappy with the second degree verdict — they were seeking a conviction of manslaughter.

Knijah Bibb, 3

Knijah Bibb

UPPER MARLBORO, MD — The trial of a Prince George’s County man accused of shooting and killing a 3-year-old girl in Landover, Md. began on Tuesday.

Davon Wallace, 27, is charged with the first-degree murder of Knijah Bibb, 3, on August 10, 2014 at a home on the 6900 block of Forest Terrace Dr. The home belonged to Bibb’s mother’s cousin. Bibb, two of her siblings, and her mother had spent the weekend at the home visiting.

In his opening statement, Wallace’s attorney, David Booth, said that Wallace isn’t disputing the fact that he shot and killed Bibb and he wants to be held responsible. However, he argued that Wallace shouldn’t be convicted of first-degree murder, but of involuntary manslaughter.

Prosecutors alleged that Wallace, who was in a relationship with a woman at the home, got into an argument with the woman’s teenage brother. The argument was about whether the teen was taking Wallace’s clothes.

Wallace eventually left the home and as he was leaving, called his friend, Brian Campbell, who lived about 10 houses down the street. As Wallace was walking down the street, the teen and his friend attacked and stabbed Wallace.

Prosecutors said Wallace then went to wait for Campbell outside his house, as Campbell was driving home. When Campbell arrived, Wallace took a gun that was on Campbell’s front passenger seat (Campbell said in court that he had the gun for protection) and started walking back towards the original home.

Prosecutors added that Wallace then stood outside the home and fired six shots into the second-floor bedroom belonging to the teen. However, the teen and his friend were no longer in the house. One of the bullets, struck and killed Bibb. Wallace then started to walk away from the home and was driven away by Campbell.

Wallace’s attorney said that Wallace acted stupidly and recklessly by firing into the home, but said he never intended to kill anyone, only to scare the teens that had attacked him.

After her testimony, Bibb’s mother took offense to that line of argument.

“How could you not mean it? Like, you knew that it was kids, innocent people period, in the household and regardless, if he didn’t mean whatever, my baby is gone. She no longer have her life,” said Shadon Woodley, Bibb’s mother. “I would like for him to feel the pain that I feel which will never amount, because he still gets to live, regardless of any struggle he go through, any pain he feel, my baby’s not here.”

The first day of testimony concluded with Brian Campbell appearing on the witness stand. In an apparent build up in his argument for involuntary manslaughter versus first degree murder, Wallace’s attorney asked Campbell if, when Wallace called him, did Wallace ask if Campbell had a gun or could bring one.

Campbell said he did not.

The trial is slated to last three days. Closing arguments are expected on Thursday.