Grease fire causes partial evacuation of Tysons Corner Center

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FAIRFAX CO, VA – Over 80 firefighters responded to a grease fire that caused the partial evacuation of Tysons Corner Center on Friday.

Officials say that units responded to 7863 Tysons Corner Center in the McLean area at approximately 6:04 p.m for reports of smoke coming from Tysons Corner Center.

Upon arrival, units observed smoke coming from the roof of the three-story wing of the mall. Firefighters were able to control the fire.

Due to the extent of the fire and extreme heat, three alarms were sounded, bringing over 80 firefighters to the scene. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries. the effected wing of the mall was evacuated.

The fire was determined to be accidental. Officials say the fire originated in the hood system located above a wood cooking appliance. The operating appliance caused the grease within the hood system to reach its ignition temperature. The fire was contained to the exhaust duct.

Property loss is estimated at $35,000.