Ex-cop gets 1 year in shooting death of John Geer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Photo credit: Fairfax County PD

FAIRFAX CO., VA – A former Fairfax County police officer has been sentenced to one year behind bars for fatally shooting a man after responding to a domestic dispute.

Adam Torres, who pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, was sentenced Friday in Fairfax. He has already served more than 10 months.

Police Chief Edwin C. Roessler Jr. released the following statement regarding the sentencing:  “My thoughts and prayers remain with the Geer family, the friends and loved ones of Mr. John Geer, the community we proudly serve and the men and women of the Fairfax County Police Department. We support the judicial process and the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. The action of one former employee is not reflective of the honorable work performed by the members of our Department, sworn, civilian and volunteer.”

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman, Sharon Bulova, also released a statement about the sentencing: “The death of John Geer was a tragic event and a painful chapter in Fairfax County history. With today’s sentencing, the justice system has done its part. Although Adam Torres’ act cannot be undone, there are many things Fairfax County can do to ensure future tragedies such as this never happen again. The Board of Supervisors and the Fairfax County Police Department have worked together to implement policy changes recommended by the Ad Hoc Police Practices Review Commission. These changes are reengineering the way officers are trained to respond to critical incidents and the way the Police Department and the County communicate information to the public. We are committed to promoting community trust and making our Police Department a national model moving forward.”

Torres shot 46-year-old John Geer while he stood on his doorstep in Springfield, Virginia in August 2013. The shooting occurred after a 40-minute standoff that started with a domestic-dispute call. Police say that Geer was unarmed at the time of the shooting and witnesses reported he had his hands up.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.