WASHINGTON, D.C. - D.C. Police and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner confirmed the remains of three women, found in Southeast D.C. neighborhood last week, are homicide victims.
They held a press conference on Friday.
Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Roger Mitchell Jr., says two of the women had gun shot wounds, and the third woman had inflicted trauma, but he could not elaborate.
According to D.C. Police, a construction crew working at a building on the 100 block of Wayne Place, contacted them after finding skeletal remains in a crawl space back on April 25th.
A neighbor, William Bailey, says he was outside when that happened.
"A construction worker came out from underneath that building next-door and he said we found a skull, and I said 'A skull?' They didn’t know what to do and plus they were shocked."
The OCME determined that the remains were human two days later.
On Saturday, two additional sets of skeletal remains were recovered nearby in a shallow grave. The OCME determined that these skeletal remains were also human.
Detectives also canvassed the area on Saturday to get additional information from neighbors.
The OCME is currently working on completing biometric profiles for the skeletal remains, which means they are working to identify their age range, stature, and ancestry.
Police say the FBI will conduct a specific type of DNA testing to help identify the victims, which could take several months.
Meanwhile, detectives will continue to investigate at the scene and work with the Youth and Family Services Division to look at missing persons cases.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the police at 202-727-9099.