After house fires, two Maryland families forced to leave their homes on Thanksgiving

PRINCE GEORGE’S CO., Md. – The Prince George’s County Fire Department says two different house fires on Thanksgiving displaced two families.

Just before 3:00 a.m., officials say firefighters were called to a house fire in the 8100 block of Bellefonte Lane and found smoke and fire showing from the home.

The family of three and two children were woken up by a smoke alarm and got out safely.

A resident told DCW50 that another family member in the home knocked on all of their doors to make sure they woke up.

Officials say fire investigators determined that items on top of an extension cord ignited, which caused an estimated $35,000 in damages.

 

Around 11:00 a.m.,  firefighters were called to a fire on Trunnel Lane for a fire that started on a deck in the back of the home and spread inside.

They determined that the fire possibly involved a grill.