Baltimore police detective dies from gunshot wound, manhunt underway for suspect

BALTIMORE, Md. - A Baltimore Police detective was pronounced dead on Thursday, a day after a gunman shot him in the head.

Police Commissioner Kevin Davis made the announcement Thursday afternoon.

He said Detective Sean Suiter, a homicide detective and 18-year veteran with the department, was investigating a 2016 murder on Wednesday evening on the 900 block of Bennett Place.

Davis says he was dressed like all of their homicide detectives, wearing a full suit, tie, and badge displayed on waistband.

He approached a man acting suspicious and the man opened fire, according to police.

The 43-year-old father of five and Navy veteran was shot in the head.

Police say he was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on Thursday at about noon.

"Such a beautiful life, a wonderful detective, husband, father and friend," says Davis. "We will find the person responsible for this ridiculous, absurd, unnecessary loss of life."

Police continued to search for the gunman on Thursday with the shooting scene still taped off.

They said the suspect was an adult black male who wore a black jacket with a white stripe.

 

The FBI's Baltimore field office announced a $69,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooting suspect.

On Thursday afternoon, Governor Larry Hogan announced that the state of Maryland would contribute an additional $100,000, bringing the total reward to $169,000.

Davis said, "it shouldn't take 69 cents to do the right thing."

Pugh and other city leaders gathered outside the hospital Wednesday night, urging residents to help stop violence in Baltimore.

On Thursday, she called the violence in the city "out of control."

Before Thursday, the number of homicides in the city for 2017 was 308, compared with 318 for all of last year, according to a tally by The Baltimore Sun.

"I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired, we need to stop the violence," she says.