LOUDOUN CO, VA — An investigation is underway into a sexual assault that happened in broad daylight Monday in Chantilly.
The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office says a woman was walking along a path on at the intersection of Tall Cedars Parkway and Edgewater Street around noon. As she was walking deputies say the man approached her from behind and grabbed her backside. She was able to see the suspect, the sheriff’s offices say, the victim described the suspect as a black man, in his early 20s, with “perfectly aligned yellow teeth with dark gums”, he also has a dark mole under his eye. Police did not specify if the mole was under the left or right eye. Detectives say the suspect was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt with a Nike logo.
Officer say after the assault the man got in silver Honda Civic that he was using. Officers released the photo of the car and a sketch of the suspect.
The sheriff’s office says that after the assault, it has increased police presence in the area and will be conducting patrols. And the department released some tips to for walkers and pedestrians:
- Always stay alert and be aware of your surroundings (Don’t wear earphones)
- Walk, run or bike with a partner or group
- Let someone know when your route and when you expect to return
- Walk, run or bike when the path or trail is likely to have a higher volume of foot traffic
- Avoid using paths or trails when it is dark outside
- Carry a cell phone
Anyone with information on the assault is asked to contact the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Special Victim’s Unit at 703-777-0475.