Volunteer firefighters save Accokeek woman after bingo match collapse
PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY, Md. — Volunteer firefighters working at an Accokeek Bingo match responded quickly when a woman who was playing collapsed, and helped save her life with CPR and defibrillation.
The woman suffered a sudden cardiac arrest. Accokeek Volunteer Fire and Rescue members were running the bingo match and immediately leapt into action, administering life-saving efforts like an AED shock and CPR.
Paramedics from Fort Washington responded and took over, bringing the woman to the nearest hospital. In the ambulance, her heart began beating on its own again and she woke up.
As of Friday morning, the woman remains in the ICU in what Prince George’s County Fire said was “relatively good condition”.
“This save is indicative of the team work, dedication and commitment of all our EMS providers working to save a life,” said Brian J. Frankel, Assistant Fire Chief for PGFD. “Early access AED and CPR really does save lives.”
The Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department currently offers a phone app called Pulse Point that alerts CPR trained citizens that are in close proximity to a cardiac arrest call.
The phone app also provides the location of the nearest AED. More information on the app is available here.