WASHINGTON -- Tuesday evening, with police present, a Northwest neighborhood pizza shop opened its doors for the first time in days.
“We have customers waiting in line, so we’re very happy to serve them,” the pizzeria’s owner told media as he unlocked the door.
Comet Ping Pong made national headlines Sunday, when police say, a conspiracy theorist opened fire in the pizza shop.
“We’ve been completely overwhelmed and incredibly touched by the support of our community here in Washington and around the world,” said Comet’s owner, James.
Police say the gunman believed a false news story that accused Hilary Clinton and others of running a child sex ring out of the restaurant.
“I think that’s probably the thing that is most disturbing about it. The feeling that since its so unwarranted, so baseless, that it really could’ve happened to anybody, any restaurant owner, any business owner, any individual that has any kind of profile could be attacked,” expressed Jacke Greenbrum, a Comet Ping Pong regular.
While Comet was the main target for the conspiracy theorists, at least four other businesses reported also being harassed.
“They call and say we are going to shoot you guys, destroy the place, we are going to blow you up.”
Ibrahima Diallo, the manager of Bestas, a pizzeria two doors down from Comet, told DCW50 he had been getting threatening calls since early November. Diallo said the threats finally stopped on Sunday, after the shooting.
And while he was grateful police were making their presence known, he said he wishes they had done more before the shooting.
“They should have prevented it instead of responding to a call that somebody has a gun, they should have been here a week before,” Diallo said.
Since Sunday, there has been an outpouring of support for Comet and the other affected businesses. The hashtag #StandWithComet went viral and as of Tuesday, a Facebook event inviting people to Comet on Friday, had more than 1.6 thousand people scheduled to attend.