Some PGCPS BOE members call for resignation of chair and vice-chair

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 11.03.02 AM

PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY, Md. — As school resumed in Prince George’s County on Tuesday, five of the 13 members of the county’s Board of Education called for the resignation of the board’s chair and vice-chair.

Members Beverly Anderson, Edward Burroughs III, Zabrina Epps, Verjeana M. Jacobs, and Sonya Williams sent a three-page letter to Prince George’s County Executive Rushern Baker imploring him to call for the resignation of Board chair Dr. Segun Eubanks and vice-chair Carolyn Boston.

The members wrote they were voicing their “lack of confidence” in the leadership of the two following the decision of the Administration of Children and Families to terminate a $6.3-million federal grant for the county’s Head Start program following a report stating the school system failed to address deficiencies identified in a review earlier this year. Among the allegations in the report was that a three-year-old boy was made to mop up his own urine while his teacher sent pictures to one of his parents.

The letter also claims the Board was only informed of the loss of funding and the allegations in the report on August 17, while the letter from ACF informing PCGPS of the funding termination was sent on August 12.

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 8.49.35 AM

Page 1 of 3 of the letter.

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 8.49.45 AM

Page 2 of 3 of the letter.

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 8.49.52 AM

Page 3 of 3 of the letter.

However, County Executive Rushern Baker said he will not be asking for the resignations of the chair and vice-chair.

“I have all the faith in the world in Dr. Eubanks and Carolyn Boston. They’ve done a great job in turning around our school system,” said Baker.

DCW News at 10 reached out to Dr. Eubanks regarding the letter and were emailed the following statement from Dr. Eubanks:

“As board leadership, Carolyn Boston and I will remain focused on doing everything in our power to ensure the continuous and ever-improving operation of the Head Start program in Prince George’s County for years to come,” the statement read.

The County has 30-days from the date the letter was sent to appeal the decision. Baker said he has no intention of losing the funds and added Head Start program will start as scheduled on August 29 for the over 900 kids enrolled.

“We plan to work with HHS and figure out a way to keep those funds right here in Prince George’s County. But we want parents to know that Head Start is going to start on time. It’s going to continue,” said Baker.