UPDATE: Metro line service suspended through Sunday
UPDATE: WMATA issued a statement on Saturday that Orange and Silver Line service between West Fall Church/McLean station and Ballston station will remain suspended through the end of the day on Sunday, following a train derailment on Friday. This will allow for a thorough investigation, as well as necessary repairs.
WMATA encourages riders traveling to or from station west of Ballston use alternate modes of travel if possible. However, Metro will be providing shuttle buses between Ballston, East Falls Church, West Falls Church and McLean stations.
For more information, you can visit the WMATA website HERE.
FALLS CHURCH, VA – Orange and Silver line services will remain suspended through the end of Saturday. This is to allow further investigation, removal of derailed cars, and repairs to infrastructure that was damaged during the incident.
Customers who ride the Orange and Silver lines are encouraged to find an alternate mode of travel until the rail service is restored. During the Friday evening rush hour, Orange and Silver line trains will operate as follows:
- Orange Line runs every 12 minutes in two segments: between Vienna and West Falls Church, and between Ballston and New Carrollton
- Silver Line runs every 12 minutes in two segments: between Wiehle-Reston East and McLean, and between Ballston and Largo Town Center
- Riders traveling from DC to stations west of Ballston should board the first Orange or Silver line train with available space, regardless of the line color, as all trains will end at Ballston.
Metro is bringing specialized equipment to safely remove the derailed cars and to make repairs. Below is a summary of the incident:
- At approximately 6:15 a.m., two cars of a six-car Silver Line train derailed just east of East Falls Church station as the train was moving from one track to the other track at a switch point. The cars of the train remained upright and in-line.
- The train was traveling in the direction of Wiehle-Reston East Station and was on approach to East Falls Church Station when the derailment occurred.
- The location of the derailment is not part of the current SafeTrack work zone, nor was the area worked on during previous SafeTrack work.
- The cause of the derailment is under investigation. No preliminary cause has yet been determined.
- Metro Transit Police and Arlington County Fire safely assisted approximately 60 passengers to the platform. Arlington County Police and Virginia State Police also responded and provided support, including traffic management.
- There was one reported injury: an adult male who was transported for treatment of a non-life-threatening head injury.
Dan Stessel released the following statement on derailment earlier:
“Outbound Silver line train en route towards Wiehle-Reston Metrorail station. Derailment occurred in the interlocking crossover section, not in the SafeTrack section. Two cars derailed (Car 4 & 5) of the six car train. Only the wheels hopped the tracks at the crossover section. Approximately 75 passengers were offloaded out of the train and back to the platform. Service is suspended during train removal and repairs. Shuttle service is suspended on Orange line between W. Falls Church and Ballston. On the Silver line between McLean and Ballston stations. East Falls Church is completely closed. No estimated time on service restoration. Metro GM (Paul) Wiedefeld and Chief Safety Officer on scene (as of 8:30am) examining the derailment scene. Expected to speak to media soon. One adult male patient transported after bumping his head while sleeping on the train during the derailment.”
Stay with DCW50 for any updates.