State Department reopens probe into Clinton emails

Former secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 she used a private domain for her official work during her time at the State Department out of "convenience," but admitted in retrospect "it would have been better" to use multiple emails.

By Karl de Vries

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The State Department is reopening its investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server during her tenure as secretary of state.

“Given the Department of Justice has now made its announcement, the State Department intends to conduct its internal review,” State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement. “I cannot provide specific information about the department’s review, including what information we are evaluating. We will aim to be as expeditious as possible, but we will not put artificial deadlines on the process. Our goal will be to be as transparent as possible about our results, while complying with our various legal obligations. I’m not able to make commitments today one way or the other about what we will be able to disclose.”

Earlier this week, FBI Director James Comey recommended that no charges be brought in the case, a finding that the Justice Department accepted on Wednesday.